Visitor Visas

Visitor Visas
B-1 Visa
B-2 Visa
Visa Waiver Program

B-1 Visa

Businesses from around the world come to the U.S. to buy, sell, consult, and otherwise engage in commerce. The best way to temporarily visit the U.S. to promote a business venture is under B-1 status. A B-1 visa allows access to a variety of economic opportunities in the U.S. Individuals eligible for this visa range from board members and athletes, to musicians, entertainers, and servants of non-immigrants, to salesmen.

B-1 visa applicants must be able to prove:

  • The nature of the business that they plan to do.
  • The exact length of time that they need to conduct their business.
  • Their intention to return to their home country after the business has been concluded.

B-1 applicants may stay in the U.S. for up to one year, depending on the amount of time granted upon their entry to the U.S.

B-2 Visa

The B-2 visa is the ideal entry pass for tourists interested in seeing the U.S. through brief trips for pleasure. The State Department defines “pleasure trips” as legitimate activities of a recreational character such as tourism, amusement, visits to friends and/or relatives, rest, medical treatment, or activities of a social or service nature.

B-2 applicants must prove:

  • Their purpose in coming to the U.S.
  • They will remain in the U.S. for a specific amount of time.
  • They have enough money to pay for their stay in the U.S.
  • They have a permanent residence in their home country to which they intend to return.

B-2 applicants may stay in the U.S. for up to one year, depending on the amount of time granted upon their entry to the U.S.

Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) offers an easy, effective method to travel to the U.S. for business or pleasure. The program enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for pleasure or business for 90 days or less without officially obtaining a U.S. visa.

Certain exceptions apply, including people who plan to work or study in the U.S., stay more than 90 days, or people who might otherwise be ineligible for a visa. Travelers who have previously been denied visas, who have criminal records or who may be ineligible to enter the U.S. on the VWP, should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate before attempting to use the VWP to enter the U.S.

Visa Waiver Program applicants must:

  • Have a machine-readable passport issued by a participating country that is valid for at least six months beyond the date of return.
  • Have a round-trip ticket issued on a carrier that has signed an agreement with the U.S. government to participate in the VWP.
  • Agree to waive any right to contest removal after 90 days in the U.S.